Today marks ONE MONTH until my very first TRIATHLON!
Sorry about all the caps locks – I’m just super excited / nervous / pumped / scared / ready to kick ass / all of the above. If you’ve known me for a while, then you’re aware that I’ve been wanting to do a triathlon for years. I seriously considered joining the Tri Club at Penn State, and I’d always look for triathlons to compete in… I just never followed through with any of it. I think I was just too nervous – which is really weird because I’ve been a competitive runner & swimmer for years now, and I rode my bike everywhere in college, so by all means – I can physically do a triathlon. No problem. I’m physically fit and I have no doubt that I could go out today and swim .5 miles, bike 15.7 miles, and run 3.1 miles with no issues what-so-ever. It’s all the logistical stuff that totally psyched me out.
Reasons I was too nervous to sign up for Tri
- I don’t know what to wear. Seriously – do I need a wetsuit? Do I need a special tri suit? Can I just wear a sports bra & bike shorts? And not to over-share, but I need some extra support up top, so a bathing suit top isn’t going to cut it for the run.
- I needed a road bike. Well I finally have one now – and I love it. But it’s a big investment that I just didn’t have the money to make when i was a poor college student.
- How do I get everything where it needs to be? My first tri is in downtown Philadelphia. I’m going to have to drive my bike down there at like 4am and try to find somewhere to park & figure it all out & I’m just envisioning insanity.
- I’m afraid I’ll be blown away by the pro’s. Well on one hand, the actually professional triathletes should beat me. That’s why they’re professionals. But for experienced triathletes, I know they’ll intimidate me with their $5000 bikes & aerodynamic helmets & super sleek wetsuits… Ich.
Wednesday’s Work-Out: Lift, Spin, Run
- Lift upper body – mainly biceps & triceps
- 60 min Spin
- 15 minutes of varying combinations of seated climbs, standing runs, and hover for 1-2 minutes each, adding resistance every minute. (I can’t remember the sequence but it definitely got my heart rate going)
- 4x [30 sec of jumps, 15 sec rest]
- 2x [30 sec sprint, 15 sec rest, 30 sec jumps, 15 sec rest]
- 45 sec each x [seated climb, standing run, hover, jumps]
- 1:00 each x [sprint, seated climb, standing run, hover, jumps]
- Run 3.1 miles on the treadmill (27:00, 8:42 min/mile average)
- It was entirely too hot for running outside.
Surprisingly, I felt pretty good throughout my entire work-out. I’d obviously like to run a lot faster on race day, but I’ll have adrenaline on my side then.
Do you have any races that you’re really looking forward to?
Do you ever psych yourself out before a race?